Homewood-Flossmoor Community High School was one of 16 high schools that participated in this week’s SWSC Visual Arts Festival & Competition, held at Governors State University. Students had the opportunity to listen to a guest speaker from the Union Street Gallery, participate in workshops taught by the GSU faculty and judge fellow student artwork.
Out of 10 presented awards, selected from 160 entered works, H-F award recipients were:
• Meg Austin – Best of School Award for her photograph, The Purist Vessel
• Denee Webster – Best of Show 2D Award and Best of 2D – Student Choice for her oil painting, Breaking Through
• Briana Thompson – Best of Show 3D Award and Best of 3D – Student Choice for her sculpture, Favela
• Emma Novak – Best of 2D – Student Choice for her stippled ink drawing, Macarons
• Jesse Myles – Cover Design Winner for his event program cover
"I am very proud of our students and our staff for their accomplishments at this conference competition," says Dr. Von Mansfield, superintendent. "We are fortunate to live in a community that values and invests in fine arts education and provides our students with great opportunities to succeed."
Other participating H-F students were Eugenia Ermasova (photography), Jonathan Luong (pencil drawing), Lucy Sloan (oil painting), Sakyrah Morris (photography), Nick Thompson (digital media) and Kelly Rosenthal (ink on fabric). Works are on display at Governors State through 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 10.