Alumni Connections at H-F
H-F's Organic Garden Continues to Grow!
In 2015, through the generous support of alumni contributors including the Class of 1963, the H-F Organic Garden project was born. With a group of interested H-F students, parents, administrators and community gardening enthusiasts at the helm, the first harvest of squash, pumpkin, tomatoes, green peppers was grown. Many of the veggies and herbs were donated back to the H-F Food Science program for our young chefs in training to expand their culinary expertise, while extra produce was sold at the Homewood Farmer's Market.
This year, with the help of our local Boy Scout troop and through additional donations from alumni, even more renovations and improvements are planned, including additional growing boxes, a small outdoor classroom space, upgrades to the storage shed, plus a dedicated work area for volunteers to plant, transplant and harvest the bounty. Kiosks will provide visitors with information on the history and purpose of the garden while birdhouses will help create a place of refuge for our feathered friends.
Led by a team of volunteer gardeners and student volunteers, the Organic Garden allows students an opportunity to learn about gardening and more importantly, organic gardening practices. So, if you are in the area and would like to visit our garden and see our green thumbs in action, you'll find the garden located just outside the south building greenhouse. Come check it out and see how our garden grows!
The 1959-60 team (l. to rt.): Fred McMorris, David Maga, Tom Swanson, Ronald Filak, Bruce Hillemeyer, John Przybala, Guy Goodman, Ed Didrickson, Jack Gifford, Bob Allison, Bruce Carter, Raymond Brower, Charles Harte, Walter Scheiring. Kneeling (l. to rt.): William Burghardt, coach; John Flanagan, manager
Vikings celebrate 1,000th win!
As H-F celebrated the historic 1,000th win of the Varsity Boys Basketball team this past winter, we looked back in time to find background on the beginnings of the storied Boys Basketball team.
The Vikings won their very first contest during the 1959-60 season besting Reavis High School by a score of 79-66. The team finished its season with a respectable 8-6 conference record. The Vikes then moved into the regional play-offs only to be sent home by Bremen in the first round.
The first Viking team consisted of several fine players all of whom were transfers to the newly opened H-F from Bloom, Rich South, Bremen and other local high schools. The infamous candy stripe shorts were part of the first uniform, too!
From the humble beginnings of the first basketball team, the program continued to grow into one of the region’s most consistent round-ball threats. Through the decades, the team would be marked by consistency shown by the fact that there have been only seven head coaches in its 50 history: William Burghardt, George Vanderweyden, Dick Schmidt, Don Laketa, Roy Condotti, Jim McLaughlin and now Roy’s son, Marc Condotti.
So cheers to the very first Viking team and to hundreds of players and dedicated coaches throughout the decades that helped grow the Boys Basketball program at H-F!