The Homewood-Flossmoor High School Fine Arts Department believes that the quality of a student’s life is uniquely enriched by the development of skills and values learned in the creation and/or performance of the Fine Arts. Study of the Fine Arts encourages students to function on multiple intellectual, analytical, thoughtful, and expressive levels.
Music expresses feelings in ways unique to music among all of the arts and between all other forms of knowing. Aestheticians say that music is analogous with life - the feelings it expresses are those of life experiences. We believe that students engaged in studying, listening to and making music have unique and essential opportunities for enriching their lives through the development of skills and values used in creating, performing and listening to music.
Music is a performing art. A performance before an audience provides a very tangible goal for rehearsal instruction. The challenge and discipline of creating and refining music is more keenly felt when the culmination is a public performance. Not only is the performance a means of both individual and group evaluation, it is also a maturing educational experience for each performer.
National Coalition for Core Arts Standards — Core Music Standards
- Imagine: Generate musical ideas for various purposes and contexts
- Plan and Make: Select and develop musical ideas for defined purposes and contexts
- Evaluate and Refine: Evaluate and refine selected musical ideas to create musical work that meets appropriate criteria
- Present: Share creative musical work that conveys intent, demonstrates craftsmanship and exhibits originality
- Select: Select varied and musical works to present based on interest, knowledge, technical skill and context
- Analyze: Analyze the structure and context of varied musical works and their implications for performance
- Interpret: Develop personal interpretations that consider creators’ intent
- Rehearse, Evaluate and Refine: Evaluate and refine personal and ensemble performances individually or in collaboration with others
- Present: Perform expressively, with appropriate interpretation and technical accuracy, and in a manner appropriate to the audience and context
- Select: Choose music appropriate for specific purposes and contexts
- Analyze: Analyze how the structure and context of varied musical works informs the response
- Interpret: Support an interpretation of a musical work that reflects the creators’/performers’ expressive intent
- Evaluate: Support personal evaluation of musical works and performances based on analysis, interpretation and established criteria
- Connect: Synthesize and relate knowledge and personal experiences to make music
- Connect: Relate musical ideas and works with varied context to deepen understanding