District 233 Board of Education
Let here prevail the greatest expectations in academics, civil responsibility, and personal growth within a diverse community.
The quality of each student's life improves through the educational experience at Homewood-Flossmoor Community High School. The institution upholds the highest standards of intellectual growth, and ethical, aesthetic, occupational, emotional, social and physical development in an expanding global society. With belief in the fundamental worth and dignity of all individuals and recognition of diversity of backgrounds, abilities, interests, and aspirations, individuals will learn to respect the rights of others.
2016-17 SCHOOL BOARD MEETING DATES
District 233 School Board meets at 7:30 p.m. in the school's South Building Library on the following dates:
- July 19, 2016 (canceled)
- Aug. 16, 2016
- Sept. 20, 2016
- Oct. 18, 2016
- Nov. 15, 2016
- Dec. 20, 2016 (Meeting location changed to South Building Room E1)
- Jan. 17, 2017
- Feb. 21, 2017
- March 21, 2017
- April 4, 2017
- April 18, 2017
- May 16, 2017
- June 20, 2017
District 233 Board of Education Committee meetings are held at 7:30 a.m. in the Superintendent's Conference Room
- Personnel Committee - Aug. 2, 2016
- Finance Committee - Aug. 9, 2016
- Planning Committee - Aug. 23, 2016
- Personnel Committee - Oct. 4, 2016
- Personnel Committee - Nov. 1, 2016 (7 a.m.)
- Finance Committee - Nov. 1, 2016 (8 a.m.)
- Planning Committee - Nov. 8, 2016
- Personnel Committee - Dec. 5, 2016 (7 a.m.)
- Planning Committee - Jan. 10, 2017
- Personnel Committee - Feb. 14, 2017
- Finance Committee - March 7, 2017
- Planning Committee - March 14, 2017
- Finance Committee - May 2, 2017
- Personnel Committee - May 9, 2017
SCHOOL BOARD GOALS
Goal 1: Develop and implement a coherent curriculum.
- Ensure that the District Curriculum Rationale serves as a frame of reference for all curriculum works.
- Develop departmental goals that give direction to course goals.
- Establish goals for all courses.
- Generate measurable objectives for each of the course goals.
- Develop assessments that can be used to evaluate progress toward course goals and objectives.
- Review departmental curricula to ensure appropriate scope and sequence.
- Establish a process with feeder schools to articulate the curriculum.
Goal 2: Improve student learning and achievement.
- As required by No Child Left Behind law, review all sub sets of student test scores.
- Improve student results on external measures of student achievement (i.e. ACT, SAT, AP, and Prairie State Achievement Exam).
- Establish that all students can improve and achieve high expectations and continue working on closing the achievement gap.
- Maximize instructional time by improving attendance, reducing tardies, limiting time students are excused from class, and engaging students in active learning.
Goal 3: Increase coordinated professional development activities.
- Provide training for faculty on the effective use of classroom time.
- Review all teacher observation post conference forms to ascertain professional development needs.
- Examine results of standardized measures to determine student learning goals and the professional development necessary to achieve them.
- Support a comprehensive professional development plan that is tied to improved student achievement.
Maintenance Goal: Recruit, select, and retain highly competent, dedicated faculty.
- Identify staffing needs for each school year.
- Recruit applicants for open positions.
- Provide professional development for new faculty, department chairs and administration.