About the Library
The H-F Library — located in the main hallway in the South Building — is one of the hubs of the school. It is home to more than 35,000 items, with approximately 15,000 items circulating each year. Approximately 70 classes visit the library each month, and the library is open before and after school for student and staff use. Staffed by professional librarians, H-F Library features 23 subscription databases and hundreds of ebooks.
Hours: 7:30 a.m.-5:45 p.m. Monday-Friday
The H-F Library supports the mission and the instructional program of the school while ensuring that students and faculty are effective users of ideas and information. The library assists in preparing students to acquire the knowledge and skills needed to function as 21st century learners and provides a positive learning environment in which all students can become independent, lifelong learners. The library promotes literacy and reading for enjoyment by providing a variety of materials and programs.
The Homewood-Flossmoor High School Library strives to be a critical component of the school’s total educational program. Library instruction and programming are guided by the Illinois Standards-Aligned Instruction for Libraries (I-SAIL), aligned with the Common Core State Standards.
The Grade 9-12 student:
• Accesses information efficiently and effectively to inquire, think critically, and gain knowledge.
• Evaluates information critically and completely.
• Uses information accurately, creatively, and ethically to share knowledge and to participate collaboratively and productively as a member of a democrat
• Appreciates literature and other creative expressions of thoughts and ideas and pursues knowledge related to personal interest and asthetic growth.
• Understands and practices Internet safety when using any electronic media for educational, social or recreational purposes.